Sunday, May 1, 2011

Faith vs. Fairytale

Living, He loved me
Dying, He saved me
Buried, he carried my sins far away
Rising, He justified freely forever
One day He's coming
Oh glorious day, oh glorious day
- song lyrics (Casting Crowns)

Spring has not really sprung here in the Berkshires (we had snow covering our lawn, the day before Easter!), but it is spring in our hearts; the season of rebirth!  This holiday is full of new life and hope.  Hands down, Easter is my FAVORITE holiday.  I am humbled and awestruck by the reminder of what Jesus has done for all of us.


The burning question: is there way to find balance between the Easter Bunny and the story of Jesus?  My husband and I are working together to raise our children with an appreciation  and understanding of the Christian, spiritual values behind this holiday, while having fun partaking in the silly things as well.  You know...baskets, decorating eggs, chocolate bunnies, cookies, new clothes, a new toy...did I mention chocolate?

None of these things really has anything to do with Jesus, his death or resurrection.  Yet somehow all the time spent together having senseless fun, builds traditions and make memories.  Should I be worried that my children will be confused or unsure of their faith?  Honestly, yes I am concerned, but let me tell you this story.  During the Easter service, my 7 1/2 year old daughter grabbed a pew Bible and asked me where she could find the Easter Story.  I directed her to Matthew 28, she sat quietly and read to herself.  That give me hope. 




     How do you find balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment